canberrabirds

Grey Butcherbird

To: Philip Veerman <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 20:25:08 +0000
I have confirmed that using A values gives a very similar pattern to simply counting summing the number of birds.

However I think Philip, is correct in his second paragraph in saying that a high proportion of the increase is due to the same  birds being reported multiple times.  I came to that conclusion after looking at the % of sites at which the species was reported each year (ie F, rather than A),
30 97 GBB.JPG
This shows a much more gradual curve rather than a sharp increase around year 24.  Repeating the approach from playing around with A I projected  a trend in this series up to year 24 forward for 6 years which suggested a value of F of close to 50% - almost exactly the calculated value.

This it would seem that, rather than the fires as a push factor, some pull factor - possibly flying mincemeat - was making it more attractive for the Butcherbirds to hang about.

As one of my bosses used to say "I'm not often right, but I was surely wrong that time".