canberrabirds

Corellas

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>, "" <>, "" <>
Subject: Corellas
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2019 02:45:29 +0000
I have certainly seen what I'd presume to be hybrids displaying intermediate characteristics around (much like Geoffery's pic with bill length and red on breast), most notably a few on the Narrabundah College oval last year or the year before. Each was 'paired off' with a 'pure' long-billed in a large flock of Little Corellas, offering a great comparison of features with both. I did not have a camera. You may find that the lack of reports is a matter of ebird ACT choosing to not recognise hybrid reports, rather than observers not making use of the new category.
We have taken a more liberal approach with Canberra Nature Map and have received multiple reports of probable hybrids and have had a fair bit of discussion around the topic.
Ryu