canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk to Tidbinbilla and Birrigai

To: COG List <>, COG Wednesday Walkers <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk to Tidbinbilla and Birrigai
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 03:26:36 +0000

The Editors of Gang-gang may wish t use the following as the trip report

17 members and guests gathered in the car park at the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve Visitors Centre in clean and pleasantly cool conditions.  A range of the usual suspects were seen before we moved off towards the Time Trail in search of Robins.

As usual a number of folk were caught out by the beeps emanating from the Tanging device.  Very like a Grey Butcherbird!  Moving on from that the expected Flame Robins appeared.  As they were actively feeding counting was a little challenging but 10 was recorded as the total, evenlyb split between males and females.  A male Scarlet Robin was also seen at this time, and another pair of the species close to the end of the outing.

An Emu was grazing in the paddock and added to the checklist.

Passing through some denser vegetation added 3 Eastern Yellow Robins to our tally of members of the family Petroicidae.  The hoped-for 4th species (Hooded Robin) did not manifest itself.  Several other species, including a Speckled Warbler were recorded here.

As we headed back across the paddocks, our first (and only) raptor for the day appeared, coming up from a low level and soaring in the middle distance.  With longs wings held level in flight and a uniform brown colour it was identified as a Black Falcon: a lifer for some of the group and an addition to others’ ACT life lists.

All up we recorded 32 species, with a full list at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S57500168

The editors of Gang-gang may wish to include the following in the upcoming trips section:

The walk for July will be to the Australian National Botanic Gardens.  Meet outside the Visitors Centre at 0900 on 17 July.
If you are a member of the Friends of ANBG don't forget to display your permit.