canberrabirds

Yellow faced honey eaters

To: Elizabeth Compston <>
Subject: Yellow faced honey eaters
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2019 03:10:46 +0000
I was struck by Elizabeth's comment "Remember there have been fires this last year in  Victoria.".  The fires (other than some HRBs) were a fair distance West of Mallacoota but didn't seem to drive the migrants past here. As there was little movement - that I noticed - of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters before the past two days I wonder if the fires might have blocked them?

The movement yesterday and today is as heavy as I have seen down here.  Perhaps this indicates that whiles the fires were large and tragic for those in the pah, there was sill a lot of un-burnt area for the birds to relocate to, until the weather drives them out?