canberrabirds

Narrabundah Hill walk, Sunday 7 April

To: "" <>
Subject: Narrabundah Hill walk, Sunday 7 April
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2019 23:35:35 +0000
Hello members/subscribers,

There was good activity on a brief walk through of the above this morning, including a large mixed feeding flock with many Grey Fantails.  Yellow-faced Honeyeaters were feeding in amongst them, but not seen migrating, possibly due to the cloudy conditions and the warm overnight temperature.  However, there were plenty moving through under the better conditions at the S and W sides of the reserve during a survey on Wednesday.

So with a better forecast it should be a good morning, and please feel free to join me, the details are below.

We usually go through to around 12:00 noon, so please don’t forget to take your morning tea which we will have out in the reserve.

Jack Holland

Narrabundah Hill, Sunday 7 April - morning outing

Everyone is welcome to join this outing to the Narrabundah Hill reserve.  This walk has been timed for the honeyeater migration season, with the Northern and Western boundaries of the reserve having some of the few currently known local migration routes.  We will walk along these two boundaries, depending on conditions and the species seen possibly along most of the western one, and we’ll either return by the same or a different path.  We will also look for other autumn birds such as the Scarlet Robin and mixed feeding flocks, or late departing summer migrants such as the gerygones.

This walk will start at 8:30 am to maximise the opportunity to see the honeyeaters which generally come through late in the morning at the end of March/early April (Note this is the first morning when daylight savings has ended).  Meet Jack Holland (6288 7840 or ) at the parking area and stile at the NE end of the reserve, at the corner of Warragamba Avenue and Eucumbene Drive, Duffy.  Please note that the entry to this parking area is a little tricky, and is in fact about 25 metres past (on the Mount Stromlo side) the T-junction with Warragamba Avenue, and for those driving along Eucumbene Drive from Duffy involves a quite tricky 180 degrees turn, so please take care.