canberrabirds

Night Parrot

To: chatline <>
Subject: Night Parrot
From: John Harris <>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 04:34:25 +0000

I am one of the few fortunate people who believes they have seen a night parrot. It was 50 years ago now in the Northern Territory when I was a teacher there. I told the story some years ago on this site and will not repeat it here.  But it leads me to feel some sympathy for John Young and the rejection of his reported observations.

In my case, the live bird I saw was rising from the Spinifex in the headlights of the 4WD and the Aboriginal men with me identified it from its call. Mirrlambing they named it. Later at the remains of a recent camp fire there were burned feathers which they also identified as Mirrlambing. I won’t bore everybody again with the details but my point is that my evidence is not rigorous enough to be proof that I saw a Night Parrot nor that I once had some Night Parrot feathers now that I no longer have them.

I feel some sympathy with John Young. Nobody doubts that he did ‘rediscover’ the Night Parrot.  But a scientific panel is dubious about his later ‘evidence’ suggesting that it may have been purposely made to seem more conclusive than it was. It is not for us to say , or certainly not for me to say – even the scientific committee was not unanimous on all points. But if John Young has erred at all – and I do not say that he did – it is in knowing that he saw evidence of Night Parrots and in wanting the world to believe him so much that he may have given in to the temptation to make the evidence seem more conclusive than it actually was

Most of us bird observers are familiar with that temptation – you know you saw it but you can’t prove it beyond doubt.

I hope John Young is not totally discouraged and continues his research and I hope he finds the kind of evidence the scientific community will accept.