canberrabirds

Honeyeater migration A "me too" moment - more Yellow-faced Honeyeaters-

To: Martin Butterfield <>, Nicki Taws <>
Subject: Honeyeater migration A "me too" moment - more Yellow-faced Honeyeaters- ? cold cooma weather
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2019 00:10:06 +0000
Many thanks Nicki and Martin, that’s certainly in line with my experience of the timing, though in 3 of the last 4 seasons there haven’t been too many come through by at least the start of that week.  Note that I got the date wrong for one of my years, it was actually 2015 and in 2016 the migration started on 12 March with reports from Duffy and Stromlo, with a major migration of many thousands going over Uriarra Village on 27 March.

Jack Holland

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2019 9:21 AM

I have added up the number of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters reported in each week  of the GBS since its inception and obtained this graph.
23 99 YFHE.JPG
The star marks this week.  I would go with Jack that the flow is starting a week earlier than "usual".   A possibility is that reporting the migration seen at Gigerline has catalysed observations at other sites.