canberrabirds

Athllon Dr Raptors

To: COG Chat <>
Subject: Athllon Dr Raptors
From: Ryu Callaway <>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 05:20:23 +0000
Coming down Athllon this afternoon at 3:07pm, we pulled into the Athllon Depot (Farrar Ridge) having seen 2 small raptors circling over the road.
Over the next 15 minutes, we were mesmerised by the aerial skill of 2 Hobbys (at one point joined by a Nankeen Kestrel) circling non-stop fairly low, repeatedly pulling up, contorting and doing little flutters, before continuing to circle.
One of mum's photos showed a Hobby with legs extended forwards towards a small black dot, and many show the hobby eating something invisible from its claws while in flight. Clearly there must have been some good insect pickings up there. Shame they weren't joined by a group of swifts and needletails.
The two Hobbys were still circling when we left (we'd delayed school pickup enough so had to go), now slightly further south over the Athllon/Sulwood roundabout.

Ryu