canberrabirds

summary - Tumut trip over Canberra Day long weekend

To: Cog line <>
Subject: summary - Tumut trip over Canberra Day long weekend
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 07:54:45 +0000
14 members joined me for this outing - some chose to camp on a private property on the banks of the Tumut River (wonderful!), others stayed in Tumut. Over the course of the weekend we saw/heard a total of 101 species, with highlights being:
- 8 Nankeen Night Herons on Shelley Creek
- a group of up to 16 Cattle Egrets
- an adult and an immature White-bellied Sea-Eagle
- several of both Royal and Yellow-billed Spoonbills
- emus on the shores of Blowering Reservoir
- amazing views of two Superb Lyrebirds gliding a couple of metres over our heads on a bush track
- Crested Shrike-tits near the Tumut Wetlands
- a (heard-only) Barking Owl near the campers
- a brown falcon trying repeatedly to catch starlings from a large group
- a Wedgetailed Eagle breaking off a branch and carrying it away

sandra h