canberrabirds

Odd Peregrine

To: 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, 'COG Chat' <>, "" <>
Subject: Odd Peregrine
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 00:17:20 +0000

Sorry I am lost at the suggestion, although the dark mask and white behind is not typically placed (only going by the picture, I did not see what you saw), the 2 editions of the photo vary a lot. There are many (19) accepted subspecies of Peregrines around the world. They are not very different. F.p. calidus is northern European. Typically there is more difference in appearance between adult & young, than between ssp. I have lots of raptor books but even the 416 page  “The Peregrine Falcon” by Dr Derek Ratcliffe (my copy is signed by the author), at a quick look does not appear to discuss the variation (it is mostly about Britain). The Brown & Amadon 2 volume set shows F.p. calidus and by the painting it is very pale below, almost white background to the modestly dark barring. It is not easy to find that information, though a web search on Peregrine Falcon subspecies does get some. I have copied below the most relevant extract I could find https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon#Subspecies.

Philip

·         Falco peregrinus calidus, described by John Latham in 1790, was formerly called leucogenys and includes caeruleiceps. It breeds in the Arctic tundra of Eurasia, from Murmansk Oblast to roughly Yana and Indigirka RiversSiberia. It is completely migratory, and travels south in winter as far as South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. It is often seen around wetland habitats.[34] It is paler than peregrinus, especially on the crown. Males weigh 588 to 740 g (1.296–1.631 lb), while females weigh 925 to 1,333 g (2.039–2.939 lb).[5]

·         Falco peregrinus macropus, described by Swainson in 1837, is the Australian peregrine falcon. It is found in Australia in all regions except the southwest. It is non-migratory. It is similar to brookei in appearance, but is slightly smaller and the ear region is entirely black. The feet are proportionally large.[11]