canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Lewin’s Rail at Jerrabomberra

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Lewin’s Rail at Jerrabomberra
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2019 00:27:09 +0000

An enigmatic species, hard to know what’s in its head.  Lach’s stills are much better than mine, from brief encounters at Crake Alley and Namadgi Visitor Centre.  It’s one of those bird that just turns up.  I might recall for new subscribers the strange episode many years ago (telephone chatline days, I think) when Harvey Perkins reported the bird at Commonwealth Park.  Over a couple of weeks it came out of the shrubbery to gather earthworms in a wet patch of lawn within a couple of metres of a busy footpath.  Some old video at –

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/video/lewins-rail-lewinia-pectoralis/bird-walking-and-foraging-earthworms-urban-park