canberrabirds

Snipe

To: "" <>, 'canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Snipe
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 23:08:12 +0000

The words in Roger’s message ask a question but without a “?”, I half read it as a statement. My curiosity piqued, although I am not sure what is the Australian bird guide book, I checked Pizzey’s field guide and by the illustrations there there is no difference between these 3 snipe species in the extent to which the toes are longer than the tail. HANZAB pictures are unclear on this but it also refers to Latham’s Snipe “toes normally do not project beyond the tip of tail”. But also that “No single plumage feature considered diagnostic in field”……. HANZAB also mentions that Latham’s Snipe has more pointed wings, which these photos would suggest.

Pizzey’s maps show those other two species are only known from northern and western Australia. Surely a lot more evidence would be needed to identify as a rare species.

Philip