canberrabirds

Cormorant roost, Molonglo River

To: calyptorhynchus <>, Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Cormorant roost, Molonglo River
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 21:51:39 +0000
John, as I’ve described in my write up of the COG Boat trip in the March issue of Gang-gang (out early next week), this seems now to be the main darter/cormorant breeding area in the ACT.  Jean Casburn very kindly checked it out over 17-18 February and counted around 100 birds (no Pieds) there, with all breeding (as darters/cormorants mainly do in late summer/autumn) except for the Little Black Cormorant.  My understanding is that it stretches for around 1 km W of the bridge.

Jack Holland

Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2019 8:07 AM
Subject: [canberrabirds] Cormorant roost, Molonglo River

I was running along the cycle path below Scrivenor Dam today and for the first time went under the Tuggeranong Parkway and beyond and about 400 metres beyond I saw a cormorant roost on the opposite (north) bank of the river in willows. It was about 6 and already birds were leaving but there were about 150 birds of three cormorant spp and Darters, the Darters were sitting on stick platforms which I suppose were the remains of nests.

Also about 20 YTBC flying out of the pines on the north bank of the river south.

I often walk that stretch (though I don't usually go beyond the Parkway). I often see cormorants of various spp flying either from Lake BG towards Weston or the opposite way. A few weeks ago I saw two flying in opposite directions, up and down the river. I wonder what they thought when they met and passed, did both of them think 'Hey, wait a minute!'?

--
John Leonard
Canberra

‘There is kinship between people and all animals. Such is the Law.’ Kimberley lawmen (from Yorro Yorro)