canberrabirds

Fw: [canberrabirds] Flycatcher and cuckoo ID question

To: "" <>
Subject: Fw: [canberrabirds] Flycatcher and cuckoo ID question
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 01:08:27 +0000
I need to correct the information below as Ryu Callaway has correctly pointed out that the colour boundary curve is a male only Satin Flycatcher feature. This is based on the descriptions on Graeme Chapman's website, who is accepted as the expert on separating the two species.

I have checked Graeme's web site and note that for the female Satin he states "The density and extent of the rufous colouring on the throat and breast is variable and not a reliable character".   I had incorrectly recalled that the colour boundary curve applied to both.  I was also slightly mislead by the plates, as both appear to both show this for the female.  However, the feature is also noted only against the male in the ABG plates, and the texts for the female don't seem to mention it, given the difficulty in reading the usual turgid HANZAB text.

So how do we identify the Satin female unless there's a male around?

Jack Holland
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2019 8:27 AM

Steve, while not definitive the following would support that the most likely combination is Satin Flycatcher/Brush Cuckoo as you initially identified.

Satin Flycatcher due to the altitude (1305 m), but also because in the two photos the colour boundary is (down) curved, meeting the wings at an acute angle.  While the angle isn’t that acute/sharp, it is similar to that shown in the Australian Bird Guide.  From a quick read HANZAB does not appear to emphasise this feature, though it does mention the line of demarcation for the Satin appears gently concave and not convex as for the Leaden.  I note the two respective plates are very similar for these aspects.

Brush Cuckoo because HANZAB indicates the species prefers to parasitise open nests.  Fan-tailed Cuckoos prefer to select hosts that build enclosed dome-shaped nests and less often parasitise open cup-shaped nests.   The greater blotchiness and the barring pattern of the tail is also more like that depicted for the Brush in both references.

However, a complication is that while HANZAB notes that Miagra flycatchers constitute about 11.2% of the identified nests, in southern Australia the Leaden Flycatcher is one of the 3 main hosts.  This does conflict with the general view that locally the Brush Cuckoo is a bird of the higher areas where the Satin Flycatcher is more likely.

After 40 years of pretty serious birdwatching I still have difficulties with these two sets of species, sometimes even with the male flycatchers.

Regards

Jack Holland