canberrabirds

Blackbirds in wet sclerophyll

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: Blackbirds in wet sclerophyll
From: John Harris <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:42:58 +0000

Plenty of blackbirds breeding in the gardens here. We back onto Ginninderra Creek and Percival Hill. I walk PH all the time and blackbirds are generally rare there, particularly at the moment, which leads me to my next simple thought. They appear to me to favour a damp shady environment. Their main activity all year round is scratching my mulch seeking worms and generally making a mess. At this time of year they are also fond of soft fruits. This suggests to me that our dry sclerophyll forest is not a preferred habitat for them. This is particularly so at the moment as the long dry conditions mean there is virtually no leaf litter for them to scratch in. Percival Hill is not a damp forest and in the past when I saw a few there they were near the dams where the vegetation is thicker and the microclimate wetter. For that reason I would be surprised if they colonised our local forests except very near water.