canberrabirds

Central birding

To: COG List <>
Subject: Central birding
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 22:21:26 +0000
Our routine now includes a dog walk around Nerang Pool each morning and I am completing an eBird checklist for Commonwealth Park each day.  In the first week I have recorded 40 species on these walks, including Pied Cormorant, Latham's Snipe and (this morning) Superb Parrots.  8 Superbs flew over from the direction of City Hill - quite possibly some of the ANU flock - heading towards NGA.

I have also started doing a GBS chart covering the roof of the Target car park and the area of Glebe Park opposite our building.  Approaching the end of the first week I have 16 species on the list.  Not surprisingly they are mainly large birds, withe highlight being 100 Silver Gulls seen on the roof of the car park at 2am.  While my reports will be sporadic as we shuffle between Civic and Mallacoota, I think this will usefully augment the GBS with reports from the Central area