canberrabirds

Harrier ID please

To: canberrabirds chatline <>
Subject: Harrier ID please
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 04:03:50 +0000

Thanks to all for the replies, very much appreciated.  My summary below.  People who thought it was obviously a Spotted from the beginning should not read further.   In the end and with the benefit of more info I believe it is an immature (not juvenile) Spotted.

1.      One clue supporting spotted was that it is flying above dry grassland.  However it had just come from over the large dam in the area, and more significantly I received a photo of a definite (adult) Swamp H. in exactly this same location taken last Thursday which had also just come from over the dam. So this clue doesn’t end up supporting either.  Perhaps it’s interesting that both harrier spp are in the area?

             cid:<script language=m("01D4AC17.4349C3C0","image005.jpg");"> Swamp H seen Parkwood on Thursday by Lindsay.

2.      I just can’t see Philip’s/Stephen’s leading edge upper wing differences from any of the illustrations available to me.  I can’t make out any clear distinction in that area, so this (no doubt true) observation doesn’t work for me.

3.      I put on my Midsummer Murders hat and ‘enhanced’ another photo to the limit.  This shows I think pretty definitively that there is no white rump as should be clearly visible in that view on all stages of Swamp H except juvenile, and the juvenile Swamp is so different that it would be obvious.  The pic also seems to show that body pattern is spots more than streaks but this might be an artifact of extreme processing especially given the head in profile also looks spotted, which it shouldn’t.

             cid:<script language=m("01D4AC17.4349C3C0","image006.jpg");">

4.      Confusingly the underside view shown in my previous email looks most similar to the view shown in Aust Bird Guide of an adult Swamp H.  The overall pattern and colour is the same and there is no plain grey collar as in the adult Spotted. The colouration in general seems the same as the Swamp, not orangey like the adult Spotted. Also ABG says Swamp H has “dark trailing edge broadest at base of wing” which fits my bird. However, and for me the answer, my bird’s wing fingers are plain dark while Swamp H has pale fingers with black terminals and a couple of dark stripes further down, at all stages other than juv.  This is clear on the pic of the actual Swamp H (above) seen at the same location, vs my pics which are plain dark.

cid:<script language=m("01D4AC16.78FB2550","image007.png");">my bird plain dark fingers  cid:<script language=m("01D4AC12.0366E210","image009.png");">  Swamp H pale fingers w stripes

Put together I plump for 1st immature Spotted (body is brownish with streaks) rather than 2nd imm (body = orangey with spots).  This would agree with Mark’s ID of “young spotted”.  I’m very happy for corrections or further off line discuss. Though it is straightforward to ID adult harriers, it’s not always so easy with young birds, or of course, poor lighting and views.

Julian