canberrabirds

Where do the birds go?

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Where do the birds go?
From: John Layton <>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 07:00:46 +0000

Or, to quote a line from Ogden Nash(?), I wonder where the boidies is?

During the current heat they’re probably not far away, maybe resting up in the shade conserving energy as was indicated around 6 o’clock this morning when I drove to the Belconnen Town Centre and back while conditions were overcast and relatively cool.

On the grassed median strip of Benjamin Way, alongside Belconnen Mall, 17 Red-rumped Parrots were feeding while half a block towards the lake 26 Wood Ducks grazed.

Thirty minutes later, beside the Raiders Club (or whatever it’s called now), beneath mulched shrubs, 11 White-winged Choughs were busily hoeing and raking. Twenty five metres away, on similar landscaping, a small species of thistle was in seed attracting seven European Goldsmiths including three immatures.

Back home the bird bath was a-splash with sparrows, and three Crested Pigeons flushed from the front lawn, one flying into tall shrubbery. A little gently poking through the canopy with a golf club revealed a bird on the nest. They’ve nested there before.

Finally, Piglet, a fairly regular visitor in the form of a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, was chomping nonchalantly through our apricot crop.

John Layton

Holt.