canberrabirds

fox encounter

To: Cog line <>
Subject: fox encounter
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 21:37:32 +0000
had an interesting encounter this morning with a fox with three cubs on Mount Taylor near the Old Kambah Firetrail,. I was standing still and noticed a fox cub stalking the small birds I was trying to identify. It was having no luck but made several leaps at birds low in bushes. After a short time, an adult appeared with two other cubs. The one I'd been watching gave up its bird hunting and joined them. Adult walked straight towards me, getting to within about five metres, but obviously not seeing me, and it wasn't until I moved slightly that it looked up, barked several times and ran off, with two cubs in pursuit. The third ran straight into large burnt out tree lying on the ground - the centre was hollow. It stood in the hollow looking at me for about 30 sec before jumping out and following rest of the family - the adult still barking occasionally further up slope.  Adult looked a bit scruffy, cubs were fluffy and gorgeous.

sandra h