canberrabirds

Outdoor music concert at the Botanic Gardens

To: "" <>
Subject: Outdoor music concert at the Botanic Gardens
From: Richard Lane <>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 02:39:44 +0000
I agree that the impact on birdlife should be measured in some scientific way so that future actions can be based on evidence rather than conjecture. It was a ticketed ($) event with a closed off area, so the organisers made money. The return, if any, to the ANBG should be part of the public record. It is a government entity, part of the Department of the Environment, and subject to audit and oversight. Loud noise lasting a short period of time such as when a plane goes overhead is one thing, but the imposition of loud music that played for 8 hours solid is another thing. I would expect that birds could cope with the former, but would be driven off (for some unknown period of time) by the later. This is speculation on my part, and should be studied! It is a great relief that the Tawny Frogmouths that had a nest in one of the trees in the lawns area finished nesting a week or so ago and have flown off. It would have been dreadful to have been "tied" to the nest.