canberrabirds

The Corn Trail is set to be logged soon

To: Canberrabirds <>
Subject: The Corn Trail is set to be logged soon
From: "David McDonald (personal)" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 00:24:42 +0000
Hi, I have received this information from the Braidwood Greens. The proposal to log the Corn Trail is very worrying. The Friends of the Forest (Mogo) Facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/mogonsw/ . You will probably be aware that the Corunna State Forest is currently being logged. These places should be national parks.
For info, and action as desired - David
=============================

Further to the recent email about the last meeting of the year, this is to let you know that we are now going to have a half hour presentation on the campaign to stop the logging of the Corn Trail. Joslyn Van der Moolen, who recently led a walk in the area, is coming to speak, and this is a great opportunity for us to get informed and/or active about about a local issue.

Other local Braidwood people interested in preventing this are welcome to attend and encouraged to bring their own meal or snacks on the night to eat while we hear about this proposal and what we can do.

This is the info I received from Joslyn...

Braidwood Arts Centre Tuesday December 4, 7pm:
Don't Log the Corn Trail and Lessons from Mogo Logging

Inexplicably, the native forests of the south coast continue to be logged, resulting in lost endangered species habitat despite local community opposition. Buckenbowra State Forest was converted to Monga National Park in 2004, as part of the Regional Forest Agreements and surrounds most of the Corn Trail.  However along the southern side of the bottom quarter of the Corn Trail there are two logging compartments.  Friends of the Forest (Mogo) is working hard to inform local groups in Braidwood and Canberra about the planned logging of the Corn Trail.  The harvest plan has been published for compartment 517  and Forestry have confirmed they will log this in 2019.   This information session, will explain issues that arose from the logging of the hills next to the Mogo Tourist village and from these lessons the likely impact of logging next to the Corn Trail . There'll be plenty of time for questions and campaign ideas from the Braidwood community

BYO food and drink if you would like to eat.

If you are not able to come please

  1. Share the attached information sheet and ask our group to give your group a presentation or if you can discuss and act on the issues.
  2. To keep up to date please like our  Facebook  page if possible.  You can view the short wildlife video David Gallan created for the campaign that is pinned to the top.
  3. Put in your people's choice vote for Dave Gallan's spotted tailed quoll photo taken in Monga National Park near the Corn Trail. In October 2018 the photo won Highly Commended for the prestigious Wildlife Photographer of the Year, Animals in their Environment, Natural History Museum award. To vote, go to the website, click on "CHOOSE" on the bottom LHS (voting open till February 2019). http://www.nhm.ac.uk/.../5311/home-of-the-quoll.html
  4. We are interested in people who want to help survey the logging compartment for rainforest, birds and other species (spotted tailed quolls) and register their sitings as the desktop review needs to be redone soon as it is nearly two years old.  We want all the species registered on the bionet.
Feel free to contact  Friends of the Forest  with any information or if you want to get involved in leafletting holiday makers in Braidwood on Saturday mornings in the school holidays.