canberrabirds

Woodswallows and the first swifts

To: 'Canberra Birds' <>
Subject: Woodswallows and the first swifts
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 05:27:57 +0000

I was just doing some work in my garden and again heard the high chirping of Woodswallows over the house,. Only a brief view as they were too high and quickly disappeared towards the sun. A group of about 20. Mostly brown, so likely White-browed Woodswallows.

Then five minutes later I was still out looking and to my surprise three White-throated Needletails flew over, not high but flying close together and very fast to the north. It was a very quick look but they are distinctive. I have not seen them at home for a few years, and even years ago when there were more of them, observations at this time of year (today is still part of October on the GBS Chart) were few. It is the sort of weather at which they are traditionally observed.