canberrabirds

RE: Research into the markings inside nestling estrildid finch mouths at

To: Philip Veerman <>, 'Canberrabirds' <>
Subject: RE: Research into the markings inside nestling estrildid finch mouths at Jerrabomberra Wetlands
From: Cassandra Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 05:19:15 +0000

Hello to Philip and the COG chatline,

In my initial e-mail, I invited people to ask questions as I strongly believe that it is vital to foster an open and honest communication channel between the science community and the general public. Both sides have much to learn from the other. Scientists, in general, are poor communicators of our work. Many of us are working hard to improve, and certainly earnest efforts have been made to reach out and explain our work in recent years.

In an effort to be transparent I put more information in my initial e-mail than I needed to. I gave context for my research, and for my reason for approaching nests. By being honest and transparent I communicated my enormous respect for the COG community.

Due to the nature of the way the questions were asked, in addition to the method in which they were delivered, I am not going to address them. I do not believe they were asked in a genuine effort to understand or to learn. I hope this does not discourage other enthusiastic bird lovers from contacting me.

Thank you,

Cassandra

Cassandra Taylor
Ph.D. candidate, Langmore Lab
Division of Ecology & Evolution
Research School of Biology
ANU College of Science
RN Robertson Building
46 Sullivans Creek Road
The Australian National University
Acton  ACT  2601   Australia

M  +61 415 299 016
E  m("anu.edu.au","cassandra.taylor");">

W  http://biology.anu.edu.au/research/labs/langmore-lab-avian-evolutionary-and-behavioural-ecology