canberrabirds

Isaacs Ridge - COG spring survey

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Isaacs Ridge - COG spring survey
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 04:52:11 +0000
This is the area opposite the Boral Quarry on Mugga Lane. There has been a lot of planting going on, as well as placement of logs, and despite the dry conditions all recent plantings were healthy. Perhaps they are being watered...
The reserve remains very dry, and the only dam near the survey points has been dry for some time. The most numerous birds are the Noisy Miners, and I repeatedly came across groups of six or seven birds. The resident White-winged Choughs have a nest near the dry dam, and although Noisy Miners and Australian Magpies are obviously also breeding (I was swooped by both), I did not locate their nests. At Site 3, a pair of Mistletoebirds were moving between the many mistletoe clumps. The Mistletoebirds in this reserve can be found throughout the year, including mid-winter, which is unusual.  The Speckled Warblers, usually reliable, were not present in the survey areas, but I did locate a pair higher up the slopes on my way back to the car, in a mixed group with Superb Fairywrens and Buff-rumped Thornbills. As with Callum Brae, there were no gerygones, no Grey Shrikethrush, no cuckoos and  no White-throated Treecreepers, all regulars at the reserve in Spring. The total species count was 29.
Sandra Henderson