canberrabirds

Out of Area - NT Trip

To: COG Chatline <>
Subject: Out of Area - NT Trip
From: Julie Clark <>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 06:27:46 +0000
Hi All,

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to an album of photos taken in the Northern Territory earlier this month - a 13 -day trip that included Darwin, Kakadu, Katherine and Pine Creek.

Len & I travelled with Jill & Ken and had an amazing bird trip. We saw over 140 species, of which 55 were 'lifers' for me. It surpassed even my wildest hopes!

There were many highlights including -
  • watching at least 40 Red-winged Parrots feeding in trees and on the ground at Nitmiluk Visitor's Centre (before our Katherine Gorge Cruise)
  • seeing a flock of Gouldian Finches feeding on the ground
  • watching the Hooded Parrots coming down for a drink and feeding quietly on the ground
  • watching a family of 3 Red-tailed Black-Cockatoos at the Kakadu Lodge in Jabiru
  • seeing a Jabiru for the first time
  • spotting my first Rose-crowned Fruit-dove ... not far from our apartment in the middle of Darwin
  • watching beautiful, dainty Comb-crested Jacanas feeding on lily pads and seeing their young ... so very cute!!
  • watching Crimson & Double-barred Finch  & Chestnut-breasted Mannikins splashing in a puddle under a tap at Casuarina CR
  • seeing the pair of Rufous Owls at the CDBG and a pair of Barking Owls on the Lily Walk at Fogg Dam
  • hearing a Channel-billed Cuckoo calling to its Torresian Crow 'parent' to feed it
I could go on for hours!!

Photos for those interested (still editing and will continue to add...)

Cheers
Julie

--
Julie Clark