canberrabirds

Woodland surveys - Isaacs Ridge and Callum Brae

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Woodland surveys - Isaacs Ridge and Callum Brae
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2018 03:02:34 +0000
The surveys were done early because I will not be around in the official survey period.

Callum Brae
A beautiful morning, and the birds were quite active. 38 species were seen in total. It was pleasing to see that work by Parks and Conservation has at last made my 2nd survey marker visible, after many years buried about 10 metres into a blackberry clump. Not a single Flame Robin was seen, whihc is unusual for a winter CB survey. At the site near my favourite dam one of the box trees had plenty of lerps, and ten King Parrots were having a feast. At the same dam an estimate 15 Re Wattlebirds were drinking on the edge and flying low to dip into the water and bathe. Two mixed flocks were encountered, neither in a survey site. Up along the quarry fence the group included at least one Speckled Warbler, a couple of Scarlet Robins, and some Weebills and thornbills.  Closer to Narrabundah Lane a flock of Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills was making its way along the dry gully.
On my drive along Long Gully Road and Mugga Lane before the surveys I saw a number of road-kill kangaroos - with species taking advantage of this easy feast being a fox, a Wedge-tailed Eagle, several Australian Ravens, an Australian Magpie and a Grey Butcherbird.

Isaacs Ridge (Mugga Lane)
The only dam close to the survey sites remains dry (it's very shallow). 26 species were seen for the morning, including a low flyover by one of the Mt Mugga Mugga Wedge-tailed Eagles. Common Bronzewings are regulars in the area, although seldom in the three designated survey sites, and three of them put in an appearance. The third survey site, along the deep gully, had the only mixed flock of the morning, with Speckled Warbler, Scarlet Robin and various thornbills. Site two was quieter than usual, but a male Mistletoebird was moving between clumps of mistletoe, not far from where I found two in last year's winter survey.  There has been a lot of planting over the past year in the area - you can see the many groups of pink plant guards as you drive along Mugga Lane.

Sandra Henderson