canberrabirds

Superb Parrot flock in Kambah

To: 'Cog line' <>
Subject: Superb Parrot flock in Kambah
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 22:59:45 +0000

I was outside hanging clothes on my hills hoist about 30 minutes ago. Heard a parrot noise (actually my first thought was a Cockatiel). Luckily the noise came closer and I looked up to see a flock of Superb Parrots fly almost directly over me. Flying fast at about 50 metres high, as a fairly tight bunch going westerly. I could wonder where to. I counted a few times and came up with that there was either 11 or 12 (I put 11 in my GBS chart). This is a first for my GBS site. Flock included M & F, perhaps an about even mix but too quick to be sure of that. I and John Leonard have seen them in Hughes and Federal golf course and no doubt others . These along with my occasional sighting of them on Jenke Circuit and Sandra’s observations show things have changed since The GBS Report which indicated it as almost absent in southern Canberra. Something to be happy about.

Philip