canberrabirds

Return to Kelly Swamp

To: Geoffrey Dabb <>, "" <>
Subject: Return to Kelly Swamp
From: Peter S Cranston <>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 05:03:23 +0000

Geoffrey's story is spot on. I can add that these abundant larvae of Chironomus midges don't do salinity very well - hence the avian reduction in the increasingly saline Coorong perhaps ?

There is one Australian midge species that rapidly colonises newly inundated waterbodies - likely the fertile females track frontal systems and lay within day(s) of filling. This habit may allow arid zone ducks to colonise ephemeral pools and lakes soon after inundation - the duck food arrives simultaneously. Fish follow ..

This species became a bit of a pest in the rice fields of the MIA by their abundance immediately after planting - by disturbance more than their feeding.

pete