canberrabirds

Odd obs

To: COG List <>
Subject: Odd obs
From: Martin Butterfield <>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:47:01 +0000
On Saturday we visited Kellys Swamp where the most unusual sighting was 10 Red-kneed Dotterel standing in the water visible from Cynus hide.  The water didn't reach to their red ankles.  An additional 5 birds of this species were visible on the mud closest to the offices.

Yesterday a mixed bathing flock visited our bird baths.  In the space of 5 minutes we had White-naped Honeyeater, Yellow-faced Honeyeater, Eastern Spinebill. Brown and Striated Thornbill, Superb Fairywren, White-browed Scrubwren and Silvereye.  One of the White-naped Honeyeaters was a juvenile with the bare skin around its eye bright golden in colour, which really puzzled me for a short while.