canberrabirds

Fw: Article Little Eagle

To: 'Geoffrey Dabb' <>, "" <>
Subject: Fw: Article Little Eagle
From: Don Fletcher <>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 04:41:56 +0000

Geoffey, all

I will reply off list.

Don Fletcher

From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Sent: Sunday, 22 April 2018 10:23 AM
Cc: Ginninderra Falls <>;
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Fw: Article Little Eagle

Thank you, Don.  The pace of research into the Little Eagle has become breathtaking.  I note the following in the application by the Ginninderry project for an exemption from the requirement to prepare an environmental impact statement:

“In addition to the [Strategic Assessment Report] the following reports were prepare for the application for taking actions in accordance with an enclosed Program under the EPBC Act

  ….

  • Paper “Invalid evidence for purported collapse in the number of breeding Little Eagles in the Australian Capital Territory” Olsen & Rae, ANU, December 2017 (Appendix F)

This paper looks into suggestions that the proposed decline of the Little Eagle is linked to several factors including land development.  It identifies there is no way to know how many active pairs or occupied territories there were annually in the ACT historically (in the 1980’s-1990’s) and all of Olsen and colleagues’ surveys since 2002 are incomplete and their data confused and inconsistent.’

Ironically, the intensive surveys during 2017 failed to detect a single successful Little Eagle nesting out there in Ginninderry-land.  At least one such nest had been reported each year by the earlier incomplete, confused and inconsistent surveys.

gd