canberrabirds

Crimson Crimson Rosellas

To: "" <>
Subject: Crimson Crimson Rosellas
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2018 02:38:24 +0000

We only give each individual subspecies names when different sections of what we call one species become distinctive from other sections. The awkward thing about this situation is that the name retained for one of the subspecies refers to the particular feature on which we choose to differentiate the various subspecies.

There was a move to call the species Blue-cheeked Rosella which never really caught on, but it could have been convenient, apart that it would be really tedious if every mention of observing the species in eastern Australia required the words “Crimson subspecies of the Blue-cheeked Rosella”. Actually the Yellow Rosella (and others) are no more a subspecies of the Crimson Rosella than the Crimson Rosella is a subspecies of the Yellow Rosella. I suggest that one is really not a subset of the other, in any sensible biological meaning. They are just different local forms of the same species. It just depends on the historic starting point, what was named first (hence the nominate subspecies, in this case Platycercus elegans elegans), or maybe which one is most known to most people. Other forms described later need to be given a distinctive name but that does not make them somehow a lesser form.

If the Australian Magpie’s formal species name was “White-backed Magpie” then the northern form would be “Black backed form of the White-backed Magpie”.

Philip