European Wasps

To: 'Fleur r Leary' <>, 'David Rees' <>
Subject: European Wasps
From: Don Fletcher <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 07:07:54 +0000

The worst context for collateral damage (Fleur’s concern) would be when the nominal target (the wasp) is unaffected so the control operation is repeated, further harming non-target values.

There is a good question about effectiveness of control programs on the national park scale.  That is because the smaller the animal the less likely control will make any difference (because small things have high maximum population growth rates, so recover rapidly).

Has there been any demonstration that landscape scale wasp control of any type makes a difference to the number of wasps in an area the next year?

In 2006 I helped walk long transects spaced 50m apart from side to side of the Upper Cotter valley.  We saw heaps of active European Wasp nest holes, many far from a road. To make a measurable reduction in wasp abundance in that situation would be very challenging.  I don’t support the application of any agent, no matter how benign, if it hasn’t been proved to reduce the target.

Don Fletcher