canberrabirds

Koel still calling

To: Ryu Callaway <>, COG Chat <>
Subject: Koel still calling
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2018 08:38:36 +0000
Ryu, interesting, while there were mostly the male and female calls of whoa
whoa and kek kek kek (and their variants), respectively, in my local area of
Chapman/Rivett during February there were quite a few occasions when a male
was ko-elling, sometimes for a few minutes.  You might recall this was also
the case for the male calling on the COG boat trip on 11 February.

A question which keeps arising is why do Koels, both males and
females, and unlike our other cuckoos which are usually silent after Xmas,
still call so late in the season, within a week of two of when they will be
heading N.

The theory which seems to have gained most acceptance is that they are
imprinting the call - so again why don't other cuckoos do the same?  One
thing that is clear is that there are now quite a few local examples of
adults and fledgling/juvenile Koels interacting, Denise Kay's post of
yesterday is a further example.

Jack Holland