canberrabirds

Out of area Koel

To: "" <>
Subject: Out of area Koel
From: shorty <>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 23:38:14 +0000
Hi all,

I am currently at my Dads at Port Maquarie. On arrival last Friday i was alerted by a begging Koel, my Dad informed me that it had fledged the day before. This has given me a great opportunity to observe them.

The hosts are Little Wattlebirds and they have raised a single Koel every year for the past 15 years here.

During the week a pair of adult Koels have been in the area but yesterday the female came into the backyard but the Wattlebirds chased it away but only to the next yard. The female stayed for over an hour seeming to keep an eye out on the young one.

This morning the female came again but this time it led the young one slowly away. It kept going from bush to bush until i lost sight of them.

Now an hour later the young one is still not back but the female has returned and spent a couple of minutes in the nest tree. It is now on a palm tree nearby just sitting there, maybe it has laid another egg in the nest?

Shorty

A couple of pics on FlickR for anyone interested.