canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] ID Please

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] ID Please
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 00:18:09 +0000

Quite interesting.  I mentioned to Julie that I had a pic from many years ago of recently fledged LGBs that had very plain underparts, so much so that you would have taken them for young reed-warblers if they were not being tended by adult grassbirds.  The illustrations in both HANZAB and the Aust Bird Guide show juvenile grassbirds with plain breasts.  Might I venture as a generalisation that many Australian passerine species have juveniles with strong streaking, especially the underparts, and that this contrasts with the general pattern for the Sylvioid Oscines, in which falls the LGB?  Far too broad a proposition, I suppose, as you would need to go family by family. If the general proposition is near the mark, that might be why Birds of the Western Palearctic, unlike HANZAB, includes few juvenile illustrations – ‘first winter’ birds where shown are little different from adults.  As to ‘our birds’,  I am thinking particularly of our juvenile robins, whistlers and woodswallows.  Not directly in point, but at Campbell Park the other morning I was struck by the contrast in streaking between a strongly marked juv Grey Shrike-thrush and a lightly marked adult female Rufous Whistler.