canberrabirds

Origin of a common name?

To: 'John Harris' <>, "" <>
Subject: Origin of a common name?
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 12:34:10 +0000

Hi John,

Thanks for that extra insight. The aspect of finding the Latin bird names confusing is only about the concept of assigning a gender to a word, and that was even without an awareness of changing it for no sensible reason. I knew about the matching genders of connected names. The rest is fine with me. I have read that some odd cases involve distinctly male or female anatomical bits that are given opposite genders. As for the Painted Finch Emblema pictum it has at some times been grouped with the other Firetail Finches (Red-eared, Beautiful and Diamond) and at other times segregated. I have never understood why it is sometimes separated out from that genus.

Philip