canberrabirds

A question I have been asked (reptile related)

To: "" <>
Subject: A question I have been asked (reptile related)
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 23:18:48 +0000
Some years ago (early on in the COG blitz days) I watched a Brown Snake
investigating tunnels of (I believe) Bee-eater nests near Gigerline or Angle
Crossing near Tharwa. The birds were in the vicinity but not attending the
nests whilst the snake was there. It moved along the bank going forward quite
deliberately from one nest to the next, maybe 5 or so whilst I watched. It went
in each tunnel maybe a third to half its body length and then pulled out as I
recall backwards. I did not think of it as a problem but the snake had no
difficulty that I could see in doing this. I can not recall whether the going
in was quicker than the reverse. The soil there is very sandy and it would be
hard to imagine something as flexible as a snake getting stuck.