canberrabirds

Faunal emblem for the ACT

To: "" <>
Subject: Faunal emblem for the ACT
From: John Harris <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 07:37:08 +0000

We can discuss and pontificate all we like, but just because we are bird enthusiast and, by extension, people generally interested in Australian wild life, we cannot change political reality. The States have a floral emblem, a bird emblem and a mammal emblem. A couple have a fish emblem. This discussion, which actually began some months ago in a more public arena, is actually about following the rest of Australia and havingat least  three emblems, flower, bird and mammal. The Corroboree frog is a wonderful creature but it does not fit the categories that we have inherited from the past. Of course we can have an amphibious emblem if we wish but nobody else does. We could also  have an insect and a reptile and a crustacean but that is not the point. If we want to follow tradition we need, like the states, to have a mammalian emblem. Hard to pick one of course as we are a small excision from a larger state but we could at least pick a mammal whose most natural habitat is around here – ACT, South NSW and North Vic.  The spotted Quoll sounds good. The platypus has already been taken and is widespread anyway. The echidna has not been taken but is even more widespread than the platypus. Let’s suggest the Quoll to whoever makes these decisions.