canberrabirds

FW: [canberrabirds] Faunal emblem for the ACT

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: [canberrabirds] Faunal emblem for the ACT
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 06:27:49 +0000

The confusion among potential emblem-proposers is quite understandable.  It has not been explained why the ACT should have a mammal emblem just because other jurisdictions have decided they need a mammal emblem.  About 20  years ago the ACT govt decided it needed a ‘faunal emblem’ and the debate centred around the Gang-gang, the Corroboree Frog and, as I recall, a third candidate that might have been the Earless Dragon or Golden Sun Moth.  All done then I’d hoped.  But no,  we now need a mammal emblem as well.  Do not suppose for a moment that that will be the end of it.

As I see it, our emblems are at different levels.  The Gang-gang is THE FAUNAL EMBLEM.  Any other favourite members of the natural world, from whatever category, will be in the nature of sub-emblems.    To lend some order to a rather chaotic process, I offer the below diagram.  It would have been so much better, when the original debate took place, if the Chief Minister had said:  “Fellow Canberrans, we are about to embark on a search for our faunal emblem.   Let us approach this in a logical fashion that recognises that there are all kinds of creatures out there and we all have our likes and dislikes.  First by the end of next month I would like to have a settled preference for (a) a vertebrate or (b) an invertebrate.  If, each month, we calmly and sensibly choose our route past each evolutionary fork we shall, I calculate, have reached a suitable ACT FAUNAL EMBLEM by March next year.  If you wish, each non-preferred fork can be given the rank of sub-emblem to avoid having to make a similar journey on a future occasion. May I give the example ‘Invertebrate Emblem’ without in any way wishing to prejudge the route our steps might take.”