canberrabirds

Snipe Catch Update

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Snipe Catch Update
From: Lori Gould <>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 03:43:40 +0000

Hi Everyone,

Last weekend our Snipe catch went very well at Jerra Wetlands. We caught five birds on Sunday morning at the little Billabong Swamp next to the car yard (very suitable habitat with all the recent rains) and two birds on Monday morning in Kelly’s Swamp on the island in front of the Snipe hide. All birds were fitted with radio transmitters, geolocators and orange leg flags. I suspect the birds will move around a lot more as the waters recede and more muddy edges are uncovered (especially on Kelly’s and in the paleochannel area). Many of the areas birds are commonly observed are covered in water.

I have picked up most of the birds with the radio tracker this week and a number of them are still hanging around the Billabong area where the first birds are caught. We would also appreciate any sightings of birds with leg flags (preferably with photos if possible) as it adds to the information. There is still one bird getting around with a leg flag from last seasons catch, and although we have some great photos of the bird and flag (thanks Alastair) we are still as yet unable to read the number. We have of course now gone and complicated things by adding 7 more flagged birds into the mix.

Thanks to all the amazing volunteers involved (in the catch and ongoing observations and surveys). It is you guys that make this project what it is. In relation, I am doing up a bit of a roster to do the radio tracking over the next couple of months so if you are interested in doing a night here and there (or something more regular), send me an email.

Thanks Lori

Lori Gould

Program Manager

Woodlands and Wetlands Trust (Jerrabomberra Wetlands)

M: 0439030058

PO Box 58 Fyshwick ACT 2609

www.woodlandsandwetlands.org.au