canberrabirds

[canberrabirds] Updated Annotated Checklist of the Birds of the ACT – No

To: "" <>
Subject: [canberrabirds] Updated Annotated Checklist of the Birds of the ACT – November 2017
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 05:49:15 +0000

About the difficulties in conveying useful information about rareness/commonness, it is partly a language issue. There really is not a word that fits between rare and common, thus we have a hotch potch of qualifier words: rather, fairly, un-, moderately, etc. This is not just a local issue.

About The ‘Status’ column reflects the likelihood that an experienced birder would record the species during a day of bird observing, at the right time of year, in the appropriate habitat. Well that is fine provided it is understood to mean just that. If the sample size is big enough, that should be able to be derived directly from statistical data on recording rates, although there are intervening factors that make this difficult.  It relates to conspicuousness of one individual, it is not of itself about actual numbers present per unit area.

However, the problem is that I believe we mostly think of the concept of rareness/commonness as relating to population density. Thus it is often taken to suggest something about population density, which is a different issue.

So we end up with problems like the Little Eagle being described as “uncommon”, which is more “common” than it is, because it is easy for an experienced birder to record the species because it is easy to find if present, even though few of them around. To illustrate the point, surely there are many more Kestrels around than Little Eagles.

I just had a quick look. Am surprised at Kestrel listed as “uncommon”. Spotless Crake as uncommon, Baillon’s Crake as rare. I would have thought of those 2 the other way around.

Philip