canberrabirds

feral cats

To: canberrabirds <>
Subject: feral cats
From: Alan Cowan <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 05:07:26 +0000
I wish I could share David Rees's complacency about feral cats.
To say the cat problem is 200 years old is stretching it a bit. The numbers of people - and therefore of feral cats - in the early days of settlement was insignificant compared with the present populations, and I don't imagine many people could indulge themselves with pampered pets when life was a struggle to survive. That must have been the situation for at least the first 100 years or more, I would guess.
As I stated, the cats on Marion Island were eradicated by introducing a cat influenza virus.
Alan Cowan