canberrabirds

Little Eagle politics

To: "" <>
Subject: Little Eagle politics
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 03:13:01 +0000

This is to elaborate my remarks at the COG meeting last night.  I referred to the annual summaries in Canberra Bird Notes on LE breeding success (or non-success).  It is proposed to continue those  -  while all contributions on the subject are welcome, as the editor says.

My comments were prompted by the report in yesterday’s Canberra Times to the effect that recent low number reports were misleading and ‘the more we’ve looked the more of these pairs of Little Eagles we’ve found’.

The current well-resourced project on the Little Eagle in the ACT is to welcomed.  Of course we need to learn more.  My concern was that the tone of the reported comments suggested a possible revisiting of the vulnerable status of the Little Eagle in the ACT, and hence the  requirements of the present Action Plan.

The 2 nest sites under intensive monitoring this year were brought to light by information from chatline members.  More generally, COG members and other observers have returned fairly consistent LE records in recent years.  Below is extracted from eBird, noting that each displayed location might represent several observations (and that recording effort has probably increased).

The CBN reports have been directed to relative breeding success over recent years.  As the Action Plan states:  ‘Breeding success is likely to be a key indicator of the Little Eagle’s status’.

In past years I have asked the chatline for any nest-related activity, because for the purpose of ongoing trends successful nesting is the main issue. So …  I would be grateful for reports of any currently active nests.  Bear in mind of course the need for extreme caution near any possible nest, particularly during the pre-egg, egg-tending, and early young stages.

I shall be delighted if the increased monitoring activity brings to light 5 successful Little Eagle nestings in the ACT!

gd