canberrabirds

Scarlet Honeyeaters at ANBG

To: 'Con Boekel' <>, "" <>
Subject: Scarlet Honeyeaters at ANBG
From: Mark Clayton <>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2017 23:09:12 +0000

Good morning all,

In some respects I think Con has partially answered his own question. A bird with a hint of red on the area around the face could indicate a female or a bird moulting to its first basic male plumage, but one with red coming through in other areas is almost certainly a male . It is not possible therefore to tell an immature (as opposed to a juvenile which can’t be sexed) male from a female on feather colouring alone, there are other factors to be looked at, e.g. gape colour. Juveniles are pretty easy to tell in the hand but unfortunately none of the field guides and HANZAB actually show a true juvenile. I banded my first Scarlet Honeyeaters at a site near Moruya a few years ago and the vast majority of the birds caught were juvenile. By then, unfortunately for Peter Marsack who did the passerine illustrations for the new Australian field guide, the plate for the Scarlet Honeyeater had already been done using what appears to be misidentified “juvenile” museum skins. Regrettably, I didn’t have a camera with me at the time so no photographs were taken. The terms juvenile and immature are thrown around pretty loosely and this often leads to confusion.

Perhaps if all the photos taken by the respective photographers are all put together then it may be possible to work out what is an “immature” male and what is an adult female. I am prepared to have a look if people are interested.

Cheers,

Mark