canberrabirds

Red-capped Robin

To: Stuart Harris <>
Subject: Red-capped Robin
From: Jack & Andrea Holland <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 07:54:28 +0000
Very interesting Stuart, there seems currently to be an influx of this species, possibly due to the dry inland which is its preferred distribution.

The undoubted highlight of my survey on the extreme NW slopes of Cooleman Ridge this morning was 2 Red-capped Robins.

I was attracted by their telephone ringing call, and after a search I found 2 brown birds with dull/rusty red caps initially interacting, then they flew in opposite directions but I continued to hear both >100 m apart. They were observed for around 10 minutes.

This is the first time I have ever seen/recorded them there, around 2 km from where Jean Casburn recorded 1 brown bird on Narrabundah Hill on 25 August.

And also today the COG Wednesday walkers saw and heard one near the Cotter Dam.

Regards

Jack Holland