canberrabirds

Wednesday Walk, Cotter Reserve, 20 September

To: Cog line <>, "" <>
Subject: Wednesday Walk, Cotter Reserve, 20 September
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2017 04:41:02 +0000
Thirty members and guests came along to this walk, in glorious weather, and for many it was the first visit to the Reserve since the opening of the new dam.
We started with a wander around the short loop walk in the riverside grevillea area, where lots of Grey Fantails and Eastern Spinebills were very active. A male Golden Whistler showed himself nicely.
The first emus were spotted as we started up the track to the dam. Quite a few others, including a male with a group of five youngsters, were seen later in the walk. Part the way up the track the distinctive "ringing telephone" call of a Red-capped Robin was heard, and the bird finally appeared as those at the back of the group came along.
Although there were few birds on the water, Duncan managed to find a Great Crested Grebe some distance away, and two Great Cormorants were sitting on the boom.  A Wedge-tailed Eagle was flying above the Bullen Range, and a Nankeen Kestrel was peering out from a thick pine tree. As we approached the old Pierces Creek settlement site, a pair of Australian Hobbies flew over, and a number of Common Bronzewings were flushed from the more open area. Many thanks to John Bundock for leading the outing.
Sandra Henderson