canberrabirds

Unfamiliar Rose Robin call

To: Canberra birds <>
Subject: Unfamiliar Rose Robin call
From: Wallaces <>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2017 06:50:58 +0000

While watching Rose Robins yesterday I was intrigued how the male could locate the female without the female making any calls that I associate with the species. When I played back one of the videos I took, I notice a call that the female seemed to respond to by turning her head and then she seemed to make the call herself (with beak wide open). It was not a call that I associate with Rose Robins. The link below is the 3 seconds of video showing the female responding and making the calls. The call is raspy and short, and may require careful listening to hear.

It may be that I am just unfamiliar with this call but I cannot interpret any of the call descriptions in the field guides to be this call (I must admit that most call descriptions make no sense to me). Is the call on the video associate with Rose Robins?

Steve

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7cBqe3MzqSXc0xqdW9VY2NqZDg/view?usp=sharing