canberrabirds

Magpies

To: 'Rosemary Blemings' <>, 'canberra birds' <>
Subject: Magpies
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 08:09:00 +0000

The Tuggeranong one has just arrived here. Glad I waited to respond because the photo of our bird is correct, but yes the image is a stylised symbol and yes it is the Eurasian Magpie. There is no email address of the editor so knowing how to respond is unclear.

This is what I responded to them:

“There is an item on the back page of "Our Canberra" September 2017 entitled "It’s Magpie Swooping Season". There is a street scene photograph and our Magpie. However, strangely beside the title there is a symbolic image of a bird that is not based on a Australian Magpie. It is a Eurasian Magpie (Pica pica) a quite different species, that is a member of the crow family and does not swoop at people. Even in a simplistic picture the long tail and the different arrangement of black & white makes the wrong bird identity obvious.

When early settlers came to Australia over 200 years ago they gave the same names to a lot of our different birds that reminded them of birds back home. You have reversed the error.

You may even be interested in the book on the subject, called: ‘Magpie alert: learning to live with a wild neighbour" by Darryl Jones 2002).”

Philip