canberrabirds

North Watson Pond Notes

To: "" <>
Subject: North Watson Pond Notes
From: Geoffrey Dabb <>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 01:14:10 +0000

There was a reason for my visit yesterday.  A friend had told me that signs had been attached to seats advising that a rare bird was nesting there.  However from his description I could get no idea of what kind of bird this was.  The visit was made to satisfy my curiosity.  The answer to the mystery is below.  I did see at least one rail scurrying about in the tussocks at the northern end.

As we know, dogs are something of a concern at this locality.  I spoke to one person who was worried about this (with her own unusual dog on a leash) who was delighted that ‘the swans are back’.  I did see a pair of these engaging in what we sometimes call, when children are listening, ‘bonding behaviour’.

While I was there another person  appeared with a large dog and threw a tennis ball in the pond, then spent some minutes proudly videoing the animal with her phone as it swam around with the ball (equally proudly, I suppose).  No doubt dog-videoers think birdwatchers are pretty weird too.  This was within a few metres of the rail-protecting notices.  I have photos of this, but the rules of this chatline forbid their circulation.