canberrabirds

Woodland surveys Callum Brae and Isaacs Ridge

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Woodland surveys Callum Brae and Isaacs Ridge
From: sandra henderson <>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 04:56:01 +0000
Callum Brae, 13 June
The surveys were undertaken on a non-foggy morning. 36 species in total were recorded, with the majority in one or more of the survey sites. The most notable change from previous surveys was the presence of Common Starlings in a couple of sites. While these are not uncommon at Callum Brae, they are not usually within the survey sites, so they appear to be expanding within the reserve. Australian Wood Ducks were checking out likely trees, as were Crimson Rosellas. I was pleased to see five Speckled Warblers - three of them in a mixed flock near the trig close to the quarry fence. The Wednesday Walkers encountered a similar flock a little over a week later in the same location. Well over 100 Sulphur-crested Cockatoos were still present in roost trees near the entrance. A Grey Butcherbird ensured it was counted by swooping on an insect about a metre from my feet in one site.

Isaacs Ridge, 19 June
Another rare non-foggy morning. The species count was low (22), with the highlights being eight Gang-gangs which flew into the first site from the quarry across the road, and two male Mistletoebirds. A Wedgetailed Eagle flew into the first site well after I'd finished the survey at that spot, and sat in a dead tree for quite some time.

Sandra Henderson